Saturday, July 6, 2013

Patio Season Has Begun!!

Last summer got away from me and before I knew it, the snow was flying...I wasn't going to let that happen this year!

I got out my design magazines and this backyard patio/lounge in Style at Home Magazine has the feel and aesthetic that I am hoping to achieve...

My inspiration......

backyard-makeover-new-patio.jpg
The clean lines, the simplicity, the greenery...

backyard-makeover-retreat.jpg
Hostas, cedars, herbs.....black, grey, cream and green...


backyard-makeover-revamping.jpg
I plan on also doing a similar fence with horizontal fence boards...


backyard-makeover-showpiece.jpg
I love this gate/entrance way...I hope to also do something similar to this as well...

And with that......

My backyard makeover had begun! 

A HUGE THANK YOU to my brother, Mike McDonald, of Toronto who has his own home reno/construction business (website is in the works) for putting together this gorgeous patio that I use on almost a daily basis (weather permitting).

Mike dug it out ...wheelbarrow load after wheelbarrow load....and I was able to use the sod in other areas and the top soil in the flower beds surrounding the yard.


We put down gardeners 'paper' to help prevent weeds/grass growing up through...It was a very, very productive first day!


Then came the gravel....I ordered mine from Dirt Cheap in Kitchener. Mike wheelbarrowed every load from the driveway, levelled and then tampered it. Then, the limestone sand went on before the stones were placed.


And......VOILA!!

The stone is pressed concrete from Rona in Guelph and they get their stones from Triple H Landscape in London. I had really wanted to try and source as much as I could from smaller, local companies...and  was absolutely able to with great success!



Cheers! The first glass of wine on my new patio!



The monster fern is from a local nursery in Guelph.



The patio set (I'm still putting all the pieces together) is from The Bay. The coffee table is a rustic crate I found in my parent's neighbour's barn! I did the planters myself, with coleus from Meadowville Garden Centre in Guelph and planters from Home Depot.



This is what it's all about....a friend and I enjoying a summer evening (Canada Day to be exact) on the new patio....

Thanks SO MUCH again Mike...I LOVE IT!!

RR



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...