Monday, November 18, 2013

Holidays in a New Home - Part Two


Time to move onto the inside...

Our first Christmas after the fire was in the farmhouse my parent's were renting while they finalized plans to build this new house. I will admit...that Christmas was full of mixed emotions. We are a family of sentimentality....we had and lost over 50 years of ornaments and decorations from family and loved ones. Every year, decorating the tree turned into a walk down memory lane as we put ornaments on the tree that held such significant meaning...especially the ornaments from those loved ones we have lost. Those will never....ever.. be replaced. But..I still have the memories of  decorating those trees, those ornaments and the significance they had. And...this first Christmas in the new house was a chance to start new traditions and make new memories while remembering and reminiscing about old ones.

As long as I can remember, we always had multi-coloured lights on the tree and that tradition continued in the new home. There's something so cheerful about the reds, greens and blues glistening through the branches.



As upsetting as it was to lose our family's ornaments, we did our best to turn that into a positive by constantly being on  the search for new ones...ones that reminded us of Christmases past but also brought something new to our Holidays as well.



Remember C.A.L.M from previous posts..... We saw these ornaments and just had to get them (oh...and my Mom LOVES decorating with red at the Holidays too)...These were perfect for more than one reason!



We just loved these vintage-look ornaments for the tree (they were actually gift tags that we decided to put on the tree instead). Those shimmery snowflakes were also a must have as my Mom collects snowflakes. 



So after picking the perfect tree, hanging the lights, arranging the decorations (a few times)......VOILA!!



This is the front entry... We used a combination of red, white and grey with a piece of artwork that symbolizes our summers on Lake of the Woods. 



Pinecones, painted feathers, Holiday ornaments, Christmas crackers.....they all worked together sooo well!



Another close up of the tree...I see a bit of a theme...red...white...and snowflakes.



Then there's this guy...the official Gift Guard.....with his new squeaker (he got to open a gift a wee bit early).



We then realized that we'd mayyybbbeee purchased a few too many decorations. We also decided that we wanted to keep a bit of a theme on the big tree...soooo.....I brought my smaller tree from my house and a second tree was decorated! A new tradition in the new house...2 trees!

This one had a more rustic and cottagey theme....it was covered in antlers, deer, moose, bears, plaid, fisher-snowmen, tackleboxes, burlap....This truly was for my Dad...



This guy is my favorite....Something about him reminds me of my Dad...I think it's the boots...(my Dad also collects moose)..



MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!



This was in a card my parent's had received from one of their friends...it just seemed so very appropriate and suited the mood perfectly! 

"Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders that are unseen and unseeable in the world".



Looking back through these photos from last Christmas brought a huge smile to my face....and also a few tears. So many memories came flooding back...not just from last Christmas...but from all of them. One thing that I will always keep very close to my heart is my family....without family, for me, there would be no Holidays...no Christmas. They are what truly 'make it' for me.....

RR


**All photos are property of Rustic Retrievals/Ardis McDonald.

4 comments:

  1. I love it. I think that is what Christmas is all about - spending time with family and the people you love most. This makes me want to look through all my parent's old photo albums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! People get all caught up in the gifts, the "stuff" and tend to forget what this time of year is really about! I hope you got the albums out and had a great trip down memory lane.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely! We also have a very sentimental tree filled with ornaments that are like a trip down memory lane. I can't imagine losing it. But it looks like you are doing a great job of creating new traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! It has been unimaginable, in both happy and sad ways, but yes, it has been great to start new traditions with the memories of old too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...